Wednesday, May 20, 2009

The Sky just before it starts to rain...


I guess I would be continuing with some more “Philosophy” here. So those that find such stuff boring can just lay off and close this blog right now. See, I’m sparing you the trouble of reading too much. Not that too many people find ‘Reading’ to be as interesting these days. Got so many Distractions and for many, the very act of reading is such a turn-off. For the rest, well read on!!!

So, now someone suggested me to read the poem Robert Frost’s “The Road Less Traveled”. All I can say is that I found someone affirming my thoughts. It is interesting that the poet lived sometime in the 19-20th Century. Almost over a 100 years ago. So, things haven’t changed much. And probably they wouldn’t as well. We still face the same enigmas, the same trials and tribulations, the same uncanny push that people felt centuries ago. The poem was just an example.

On a personal note, I am quite fascinated by the poet’s "Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening" poem. Especially the last 4 stanzas:

The woods are lovely, dark and deep.But I have promises to keep,And miles to go before I sleep,And miles to go before I sleep.”

So true. Life keeps us egging on and there is always so much to see and explore. So why wait? Make the Best of what one has. I saw this movie called “Reality Bites” over the weekend. Well, er….not actually, just saw a part of the movie. There is this one scene where Troy, one of the protagonist’s in the movie says: “There's no point to all of this. It's just a random lottery of meaningless tragedy and a series of near escapes. So I take pleasure in the details. You know... a quarter-pounder with cheese, those are good, the sky before it starts to rain, the moment where your laughter becomes a cackle... and I, I sit back and smoke my Camel Straights and I ride my own melt.

I think that is one of the most beautiful lines I have ever heard in any movie. Okay let’s leave the smoking part aside. That is something I detest too. Anyways, what the protagonist is trying to say is, to enjoy every little moment that you have, because one doesn’t realize if tomorrow you would lose that moment and never have it back again. No matter if thing’s may not make sense now and it may all seem very monotonous and meaningless, yet find time to enjoy yourself. There is a sense of discomfort and despair, yet the protagonist finds a moment to smile and enjoys the moment, regardless. Among the little things in life, those simple moments which you feel are always so elusive and difficult to find time for.
‘Ride your own melt’ meaning ‘Do what you feel right, as per what your own conscience says and above all, have fun’. A friend of mine once said this, especially after he was a little high on spirits. He pointed to his watch and said, "Remember Buddy, no matter what amount of money you pay, and how hard you try, you will never get this particular moment that you experience right now. The moment its gone, you have lost it. And there is nothing you can do to retrieve it. So make the Best of it while it lasts". It may be conflicting at times, yet do what your Heart says, always!!!

Isn’t that what Life is all about? Au revoir…people!!!

1 comment: